The Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011. The Pupil Premium is an additional grant paid to schools based on the number of pupils registered as eligible and claiming Free School Meals. It also includes children registered in care who have been continuously looked after for six months as well as children with parents in the services.
The purpose of Pupil Premium is primarily to narrow the attainment between pupils on Free School Meals, children who are looked after and children with families in the services and their peers.
The Government has recognised that it is for schools to decide how the Pupil Premium is spent because schools are best placed to assess what additional provision should be made for the individual pupils within their responsibility.
In 2012-13, the Pupil Premium was extended to pupils who have been eligible for free school meals (FSM) at any point in the last 6 years.
At Harlestone Primary School, we recognise that the purpose of the Pupil Premium is primarily to narrow any achievement gap in Literacy and Numeracy. We believe this is best achieved by investing in high-quality class teaching, setting appropriate learning goals, well-executed differentiated lessons and high expectations for all pupils regardless of their personal circumstances. The additional funding has allowed us to set systems up in the school to support children for whom the funding is intended as well as direct support where this is seen as necessary.
The barriers that disadvantaged children face include: difficulty acquiring reading skills, a smaller range of vocabulary, can also have SEND, and difficulty accessing quality learning resources. Through our plan, we aim to overcome these.
Funding may be used to:
- Provide additional provision at lunchtime to support pupils with their well-being
- Provide support with the cost of school trips & residentials
- Provide additional 1-1 or small group tuition to children
- Purchase specific additional items to support the well-being and achievement of individual pupils
- Provide additional equipment to support teaching and learning for this group of children
- Provide additional enrichment opportunities for Pupil Premium children.