Through teaching Mathematics, we aim to equip pupils with the knowledge and skills to confidently use Mathematics in the real world. We embrace a mastery approach where we provide an ambitious curriculum accessible to all pupils. We want pupils to be able to be fluent mathematicians who can reason and solve problems given in a variety of ways.
Throughout our teaching of maths, we aim for all pupils to:
- Have a positive attitude towards the learning of mathematics
- Develop a progressive and deep understanding of mathematical concepts
- Have fluency in their mathematics, through their mental and written calculations, as well as through their applications of mathematics across different areas.
- Be able to apply their sense of number to different concrete, pictorial and abstract situations
- Use mathematical vocabulary correctly to explain their reasoning
- Understand the relationships and links across different mathematical areas
- Develop their problem solving abilities to enable them to reason, think logically and work systematically
To support the implementation of maths teaching at The Althorp Partnership, we use White Rose planning, supported by other resources, to help structure our teaching and ensure clear progression of learning, alongside enjoyment of maths and a wide range of problem solving opportunities.
In line with a Teaching for Mastery approach, learning is broken down into small steps building on what pupils already know, to support them in making links across their learning.
Pupils are supported to secure their understanding with carefully planned concrete and pictorial representations alongside abstract methods, and clearly taught mathematical vocabulary.